Pistachios, when eaten with high-carbohydrate foods, may result in lower than expected blood sugar levels, an important factor in reducing risk of diabetes.
1 lb. Pistachios, raw in shell
1 Tbsp. Egg whites
1 tsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Mediterranean Suma
1 tsp. Ancho chili powder
½ tsp. Cayenne
1 tsp. Thyme leaves, dried
1. Preheat a convection oven to 275°F.
2. Place the pistachios into a metal mining bowl.
3. In another mixing bowl, whip the egg whites until they are frothy.
4. Pour the whipped whites and the olive oil over the pistachios. Toss repeatedly until the pistachios are coated.
5. Add the salt. Toss repeatedly until the salt is well distributed.
6. Add the remaining spices and toss repeatedly until the pistachios are evenly coated.
7. Place onto a lined sheet pan. Roast in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
8. Allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container.