Pistachios, when eaten with high-carbohydrate foods, may result in lower than expected blood sugar levels, an important factor in reducing risk of diabetes.
2 large egg whites, at room temperature
¾ cup light corn syrup
½ cup sugar
1½ cups light corn syrup
1½ cups sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ teaspoon almond extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ cups raw almonds, very roughly chopped
1½ cup pistachios
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium pot combine the first measurements of corn syrup and sugar with ¼ cup water.
3. Using a candy thermometer, bring the mixture to a boil on high heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
4. Carefully wash down the sides of the pot with a pastry brush dipped in water to avoid sugar crystals forming around the edge.
5. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook until the temp reads 242°F (soft-ball stage), about 12–15 minutes.
6. Remove from heat immediately.
7. Return to beating the egg whites on medium speed and gradually pour the hot sugar mixture into the bowl.
8. Continue beating for 3–4 minutes until fully combined. This should look like pillowy fluff. Set aside.
9. Grease an 8”x8” pan and line with parchment to hang over 2 sides.
10. Grease the parchment as well and dust with powdered sugar.
11. In a medium heavy bottomed pot fitted with a candy thermometer, combine the second measurement of corn syrup and sugar.
12. Bring to a boil over high heat, again stirring occasionally and washing down the sides with a wet pastry brush.
13. Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook without stirring until the mixture reaches 280°F (soft-crack stage), about 12–15 minutes.
14. Remove from the heat and let stand for a few minutes.
15. Without scraping the pan, pour the hot mixture over the fluff mixture and quickly fold in with a wooden spoon to incorporate.
16. Then stir in the butter, almond extract, and salt, mixing until incorporated.
17. Fold in the nuts.
18. Press into the prepared baking pan and let sit at room temp for 4 hours to harden and cool.
19. Lift the nougat out of the pan and transfer to a powder sugar dusted cutting board.
20. Cut into pieces and serve.