Pistachios, when eaten with high-carbohydrate foods, may result in lower than expected blood sugar levels, an important factor in reducing risk of diabetes.
|Batter||g/ml||lbs./oz||Baker's %||Yield %||Notes|
|Flour, bread||1415 g||3 lbs 1.9 oz||50.99 %||21.77 %|
|Flour, pastry||1360 g||3 lbs||49.01 %||20.92 %|
|Salt||30 g||1 oz||1.08 %||0.46 %|
|Baking powder||225 g||8 oz||8.11 %||3.46 %|
|Sugar, granulated||340 g||12 oz||12.25 %||5.23 %|
|Butter, unsalted||450 g||1 lb||16.22 %||6.92 %|
|Eggs||340 ml||12 oz||12.25 %||5.23 %|
|Buttermilk||1200 ml||2 lbs 10 oz||43.24 %||18.46 %|
|Yeast, compressed||30 g||1 oz||1.08 %||0.46 %|
|Raisins, golden||510 g||1 lb 2 oz||18.38 %||7.85 %|
|Bananas||400 g||14 oz||14.41 %||6.15 %|
|American Pistachios||200 g||7 oz||7.21 %||3.08 %|
|Total||6500 g||14 lbs 5 oz||234.23 %||100.00 %|
• Sift the flour, salt and baking powder and place it in a mixing bowl.
• Add the softened butter and mix with a dough hook attachment on first speed until crumbly in texture.
• Combine the eggs with the buttermilk and dissolve the yeast in the liquid. The eggs and buttermilk should be at room temperature.
• Add the bananas and mix for ten minutes on first gear.
• Fold in the raisins and American Pistachios, which are lightly toasted.
• For an old-fashioned round shape, scale into 230 g (8 oz) units and round.
• Bench rest the dough for ten minutes, keeping it well covered.
• Flatten the dough pieces to half the thickness, brush the top with egg wash and press the top into rock sugar. Place on a parchment lined sheet pans and with a scraper, cut about 2/3 through into fourth.
• Bake in a preheated oven at ( 205°C) 400°F for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
• The scones may be served whole or pulled apart into quarters.
Nutritional Information per Serving: 161 calories, 4 g protein, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 28 g carbohydrates, 7 g sugars, 1 g fiber, 17 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium.